A panic attack occurs as a result of an extreme fight/flight response in which your body experiences a sudden onset of intense symptoms. This usually begins with a feeling of extreme fear or panic accompanied by heart palpitations, shortness of breath, and a feeling of disorientation. You might also experience sweating, shaking, and nausea. This extremely unpleasant experience is often confused with a respiratory problem or a heart attack. For this reason it is important that you be diagnosed by a doctor before seeking any form of complementary therapy.
Hypnotherapy helps with panic attacks by:
- addressing your underlying anxiety
- identifying your triggers and removing negative associations
- enabling you to access a relaxation response
- reducing the frequency and severity of your attacks
- enabling you to self-manage an attack when it presents itself