For some of us, the very thought of speaking in public can cause an extreme physical and emotional reaction. Many of us have a genuine fear of speaking in public, with research suggesting that it’s one of the most common fears in the UK. Three thousand adults were asked in a survey to list their ten worst fears. Speaking in public was right at the top of the list, above even the fear of death and financial ruin! Whether making a speech at a wedding, giving a business or academic presentation, or even speaking in front of small group of our peers, public speaking can instantly trigger our fight/flight response. Our hearts begin to race, our breathing accelerates, and our throats tighten.We can even begin to sweat and tremble. However, in the face of all this, there is hope!
It’s entirely possible to re-educate your mind through hypnotherapy to no longer see public speaking as a threat, and to create new and more appropriate responses.
Hypnotherapy helps with public-speaking nerves by:
- uncovering the root cause of your fear
- enabling you to readily access a relaxation response
- enabling you to recognise your body’s unique reactions to anxiety
- helping you to develop healthier ways of thinking and feeling
- re-educating your mind to trigger a feeling of calm rather than a feeling of fear and anxiety